Mini Guide

Consiglio: If your car is damaged in accident and you’re not at fault, also file a diminished value claim to recoup the loss in value of your car due to being in an accident. If you don’t like the offer you get, hire an independent appraiser.

Consiglio del giorno che ti può essere utile:

My wife’s 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee was recently rear ended. After having about $5k worth of damage repaired, I filed a diminished value claim. Progressive Insurance (the insurance of the person who was at fault) offered me $400. I said no. They then offered $600. I said no. The body shop who fixed the car recommended an independent appraiser who they said almost always gets you more money. I paid him $300 for an appraisal report that showed that the value based on auctions etc is between 2-3k. I sent that report to Progressive. They reviewed it and then had their appraiser do their own research and then contacted my appraiser to negotiate a “settlement”. We agreed on $2100.

The independent appraiser told me not enough people know about diminished value claims. He said if you have a later model car with under X miles (varies by state), it’s a no brainer claim but never accept the insurance company’s offer because they will low ball you a lot until you bring them evidence otherwise. All this cost me was $300 and 45 min of my time to have the appraiser see and take photos of the vehicle.